Start Date: Thursday, June 23th, 2011 at 11am
End Date: Sunday, June 26th, 2011 3pm
Meeting Point for Drop-off and Pickup: Cerritos Park East
Location: Kernville, CA
Forms Needed: Troop 693 Permission Slip , Kern River Tours Release Form
Coordinator: Ed Johnson
Last Date to Signup:
Things to bring: Camping Checklist
Additional things to bring
In addition to the normal camping things -
- sandals or water shoes.(keen/teva)
- Wet suits if you have them - the water temp is running between 49 and 51 degrees - but not manditory. The rafting company does have them available at a small fee. If you don't want a wet suit, a rash guard would be good. All rafters will wear PFDs.
- Swimming gear
- We may take a hike, so a Hydration pack (small) might be good too.
- Nights are dipping into the high 50's and daytime highs are in the high 80's and low 90's - so bring appropriate clothing.
- For departure day, Thursday, bring a sack lunch
- For down time, bring game, frisbees, nerf footballs, etc.
- Fishing license - if you plan to fish and your 16 or older; and your fishing gear
- Bring $10 for Sunday Lunch on the way back
Whitewater rafting on the Kern River has one of our most popular and fun outings for many years. If you haven't tried it, you're in for a thrill. If you have tried it, you know what a BLAST it is. Even if you're not into thrill rides, come to the river and enjoy the swimming and fishing.
We will be rafting with http://www.kernrivertours.com at Kern River
River Peak flows are almost 6000 cubic feet per second - (normal is 3200). The river is running very high, so there is more white water! Rafting will be great, and fishing will be probably poor (hard). I've spoken with the tour group again, as well as some others in the area, and the river is running fast and high. The winter snow is starting to melt and the water flows are increasing. The rafting company says we will get four runs - two before lunch - class 2 and 3, and two after lunch - class 3 and 4. We will be staying at the Frandy Campground- in "downtown" Kernville - right along the river. This is a convenience camp.