Date: Saturday, March 15th, 2008 postponed from Sunday, January 27th. 2008
Time: 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Volunteers Time: 11:30 AM (Adults and senior scouts who have signed up to help, please come to the park at 11:30 am for a mini prep and orientation for the activity.)
Location: Cerritos Regional Park near Flagpole
Forms Needes: Troop 693 Permission Slip
Coordinator: Maha Sadras, Mark Nagayama, Glenn Nishibayashi
Meets Requirement: First class requirement #2 of the 1-mile compass/orienteering course.
Last Date to Signup: March 3, 2008
Rank Advancement Session
- Fulfills First Class Rank Requirement #2: 1 Mile Orienteering Course
- Adult Leaders and Older Scouts are invited
- Our Troop Meetings in the near future will focus on addressing some skill sets for this requirement. If your scout plans to attend on March 15th please encourage him not to miss our Monday Regular Troop Meeting.
Need to bring:
- A: Scout Handbook
- B: Pencil And Paper
- One Foot Ruler
- Drinking Water
- Full Brim Hat And Wear Green T-shirt
- Small Backpack (To Carry, Water, Handbook, Etc.)
Please come very prepared for this activity. Scouts that come unprepared will be turned away.
Please read thoroughly pages 70-74 and 118-125 of Scout Handbook with parents
Plan on attending the next few troop meetings, so you can prepare with Mr. Nagayama. This will enable you to complete the orienteering course successfully.
- Some knowledge of geometry and algebra is required for this orienteering course. Please help scout when he reads the Scout Handbook and attempts any of the exercises suggested there.
- Senior Scouts please sign up with Leo Kim for Volunteering with Adult leaders Mr. Nagayama, Mr. Nishibayashi and Mr. Davis.
- 'Junior' parents - many of you signed up last time to shadow our troop experts for this activity. I urge you to do the same for now. Please contact me if you are able to help on that day. We will meet a little earlier to 'get oriented' on that day.
I am extending an 'invitation' to all of you to come learn some leadership and orienteering skills from our experienced troop leaders. I am planning on another rank advancement session, for the younger scouts that will cover the first class requirement #2 of the 1-mile compass/orienteering course.
Several of you had the experience of doing something similar to this with Pack 529. at Heritage Park. We are going to plot a course for this one at Regional Park. Its a well tested course and Glenn Nishibayashi, along with a couple of other experienced troop leaders are willing to train us with this.
It will be a great opportunity for you to get involved with this and also learn some essential map and orienteering skills. You will have the opportunity to shadow one of our troop experts and learn from them.
I will really appreciate your participation in this activity. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.