Start Date: Sat, March 27th, 2010 1:00 PM
End Date: Sat, March 27th, 2010
Meeting Point for Drop-off and Pickup: Cerritos Regional Park at the Flag Pole
Forms Needed: Troop 693 Permission Slip
Coordinator: Mr. Domae
Cost: $00 per scout
Last Date to Signup: March 22nd, 2010
Things to bring: Compass (open the compass link for more info), Pencil, Ruler, 8.5 x 11" work surface (see notes in compass link Compass) with Large rubber bands or all plastic clip, Water, Wide Brimmed Hat, Sunblock, Whistle, small Backpack, Boy Scout Handbook (Either all items ready to signoff or signed off on page 17).
- Please read the following pages in the Scout Handbook prior to coming. Pages: 66-74, 118-125 (old book - 2008 and before); pages 346-371 (new book, 2009-2010).
- Practice your pacing. Measure out 100' in front of your house on the sidewalk, and walk the 100' until you have a consistent number of paces. You should know how many of your steps it takes to walk 100 feet.
- Practice measuring the height of a tree in front of your house using the various methods described in the handbook.
- Practice measuring the width of the street in front of your house using the various methods described in the handbook.
- How close was your estimate?
- You must attend the Practice Session (to be done on your own) to attend the outing.If you require help, please email or call Mr Domae to make an appointment.
- You will need the following pages for practice: Training Handout, Worksheet, MAP
SIGNUPS ARE CLOSED
Sixteen (16) scouts signed up as shown below (in order of signup). Note that each of the columns show a checkoff that will be verified before a scout is allowed to attempt the course.
|Name||Patrol||Roll Call||Perm. Slip||Proper Compass||Work Surface||Pencil||Water||Wide brim Hat||Sunblock||Whistle||Backpack||HW||Pacing||Measure Height||Measure Width||Demo. compass||Handbk Pg. 17 done||Name in Handbk|
Roll Call = scout is present at 1pm at the flagpole
Perm. Slip = troop permission slip is filled out and turned in
Proper Compass = Scout has a baseplate compass as in requirements (top of page)
Work Surface = Scout has a NON-MAGNETIC work surface
Pencil = Scout has a Pencil
Water = Scout has water bottle filled
Wide Brim Hat = Scout has a wide brim hat (brim extends all around hat) - not a baseball cap
Sunblock = Scout has sunblock
Whistle = Scout has whistle around neck
Backpack = Scout has a pack to carry any necessary supplies
HW = Homework sheets are completed
Pacing = Scout can demonstrate pacing
Measure Height = Scout can demonstrate measuring the height of a specified object
Measure Width = Scout can demonstrate measuring the width of a specified object
Handbk Pg. 17 done = Page 17 of Scout handbook is completed, or ready to be signed off
Name in Handbk = Name is on the first page of Handbook
This is NOT A TRAINING session.
This is demonstrating to see if you understand how to use a map and compass together.
Scouts need the permission slips with them.
Scouts need to have the required tools - compass, work surface, pencils, … etc as listed on the webpage.
Scouts need to have competed the practice sheet to hand in before starting the course.
Scouts will be checked for pacing and basic compass usage before starting.
Scouts need to bring their boy scout handbook page 17 (ready to signoff or signedoff)
Adults should bring Water, Wide Brimmed Hat, Sunblock, Walkie Talkie (we need 6 total) and Cellphone.