Date: Saturday, May 3, 2008
Location: PARAMOUNT LDS, 1st & 3rd Ward, 10511 Paramount Blvd., Downey, CA 90240
Registration: 8:00 am
Flag Ceremony: 8:45 am
Session I: 9:00 am to 11:30 am (Classes close at 9:15am)
Lunch: 11:30am to 12:00pm
Session II: 12:00pm to 2:30pm (Classes close at 12:15pm)
PDF Document: MeritBadgeDay-May2008.pdf
Frontier District Merit Badge Day
SCOUTMASTERS, in order to have a smooth running, successful day for our scouts, we need your help! Please:
- Copy this flyer and give it to each of your scouts and to your adult committee.
- Inform your scouts that they MUST call the counselor immediately after they have read the requirements in the merit badge pamphlet of their choice. Counselors have the right to refuse admission to any scout who has not called and prepared properly.
- Furnish your scouts with a blue merit badge application card (the blue application paper form is fine). They must bring this card to Merit Badge Day filled out and signed by you.
- Make sure your scouts are prepared for the merit badges before coming to Merit Badge Day.
- Remind your scouts to wear their FULL UNIFORM to Merit Badge Day, as this is required.
SCOUTS, in order to have a smooth running, successful day for you, we need your help! Please:
- Choose a merit badge from the available classes. Make note of classes that take two sessions
- Read the MOST RECENT edition pamphlet of the merit badge(s) of your choice then:
- CALL THE COUNSELOR IMMEDIATELY! There are requirements for each merit badge that must be completed by you before Merit Badge Day. Ask the counselor questions about prerequisites and any equipment, notebooks, pens or pencils, etc. you need to bring.
- Do the prerequisites and bring the pamphlet (Merit Badge book) with you to Merit Badge Day.
- You MUST BE IN FULL UNIFORM OR YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN CLASS.
- Bring a sack lunch or $3.00 each to buy your lunch (see announcement below).
- Bring change for a phone call if you need to make one.
- Bring a Merit Badge Application Card (or blue application paper form is OK) signed by your Scoutmaster.
- Remember: Classes close after the first 15 minutes
- Any questions, please call:
- The District Advancement Chair: YT Chung at 562.860.2482
- District Commissioner: Tom Hutchinson at 562.869.6478.
Remember: BE PREPARED
- No smoking in or outside close to the building
- Rooms must be as clean at the end of the session as they were at the beginning of the session. All chairs must be folded and placed against the wall so we may vacuum the floor.
- A LUNCH MEAL will be provided for $3.00. This includes a hot dog or two slices of pizza, a drink and potato chips. Soda pop and candy will also be available for 50 cents each. Extra hot dog or pizza will be $1.50.
PLEASE NOTE: Scouts must not call counselors after 9:00 p.m. or before 9:00 a.m.
REMEMBER: A SCOUT IS ALWAYS COURTEOUS AND KIND. Speak clearly and slowly, leave your name and phone number with the area code if you get an answering machine.
For up to date information about classes being offered, please go to http://www.boyscoutsla.org and click the Frontier District tab at the Left hand side menu.
Session I: 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
|Merit Badge - Animal Science||Rockie Mooney||562.868.8292||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Camping||Raju Rayasam||562.924.9656||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Family Life||Bobby Joe||562.926.6996||Read Merit Badge Book! Be prepared to demonstrate yourunderstanding of all requirements. Do the prerequisites #1, #2, #3, and #4.|
|Merit Badge - Personal Fitness||Tom Hutchinson||562.869.6478||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Personal Management||Manny Ham||562.644.6631||Read Merit Badge Book! Be prepared to demonstrate your understanding of all requirements. Do the prerequisites #2, #8, and #9 and bring the completed work to the class.|
|Merit Badge - Photography||Debbie Ohara||562.929.1738||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
Session I: 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM
|Merit Badge - Citizenship in the Community||Nish Choksi||562.924.4937||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for signing up the class or you can send an e-mail to counselor at (email in attached document) and the counselor will contact you. Do the prerequisites #1 through #7, and be prepared to discuss #8 in the class. Bring the completed work to the class.|
|Merit Badge - Communications||Ming Lee||562.860.2482||Read Merit Badge Book! Please call counselor to reserve your spot. Speak slowly and clearly of your name and phone number, if the counselor is not available, so he/she can call you back. Do prerequisites #1, #2, and #3.|
|Merit Badge - Environmental Science||Michael Choi||310.607.7964 (O)||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites. Please call counselor between 7 AM and 5 PM and leave a clear message if not answered by the counselor.|
|Merit Badge - Family Life||Manny Ham||562.644.6631||Read Merit Badge Book! Be prepared to demonstrate your understanding of all requirements. Do the prerequisites #1, #2, #3, and #4.|
PLEASE NOTE: CAMOUFLAGE, SWEATS AND T-SHIRTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE AND YOU WILL BE SENT HOME. COMPLETE UNIFORMS ONLY. PLEASE HELP YOUR SCOUTS IN THEIR EFFORTS. PLEASE ENSURE THAT THEY HAVE THE MOST RECENT EDITION OF THE MERIT BADGE PAMPHLET FOR THE CLASS THAT THEY ARE TAKING. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY CHANGES IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. IT IS SUGGESTED THAT SCOUTS GO ONLINE TO http://USSCOUTS.ORG/USSCOUTS/MERITBADGES.ASP OR http://www.meritbadge.com TO DOWNLOAD THE WORKSHEET FOR THE BADGE THAT THEY WANT TO EARN. THIS WILL HELP THE COUNSELORS USE THEIR TIME MORE EFFICIENTLY IN THE CLASSROOM SETTING AND WILL HELP THE SCOUTS REINFORCE WHAT THEY HAVE LEARNED.
Future Merit Badge Days: Merit Badge Day - October 4, 2008