Date: May 5th, 2007
Location: PARAMOUNT LDS 1st & 3rd Ward, 10511 Paramount Blvd., Downey, CA 90240
Registration: 8:00 am
Flag Ceremony: 8:45 am
Session I: 9:00 am to 11:30 am (Classes close at 9:15am)
Lunch: 11:30am to 12:00pm
Session II: 12:00pm to 2:30pm (Classes close at 12:15pm)
Frontier District Merit Badge Day
SCOUTMASTERS, in order to have a smooth running, successful day for our scouts, we need your help! Please:
- Copy this flyer and give it to each of your scouts and to your adult committee.
- Inform your scouts that they MUST call the counselor immediately after they have read the requirements in the merit badge pamphlet of their choice. Counselors have the right to refuse admission to any scout who has not called and prepared properly.
- Furnish your scouts with a blue merit badge application card (the blue application paper form is fine). They must bring this card to Merit Badge Day filled out and signed by you.
- Make sure your scouts are prepared for the merit badges before coming to Merit Badge Day.
- Remind your scouts to wear their FULL UNIFORM to Merit Badge Day, as this is required.
SCOUTS, in order to have a smooth running, successful day for you, we need your help! Please:
- Choose a merit badge from the available classes. Make note of classes that take two sessions
- Read the MOST RECENT edition pamphlet of the merit badge(s) of your choice then:
- CALL THE COUNSELOR IMMEDIATELY! There are requirements for each merit badge that must be completed by you before Merit Badge Day. Ask the counselor questions about prerequisites and any equipment, notebooks, pens or pencils, etc. you need to bring.
- Do the prerequisites and bring the pamphlet (Merit Badge book) with you to Merit Badge Day.
- You MUST BE IN FULL UNIFORM OR YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN CLASS.
- Bring a sack lunch or $3.00 each to buy your lunch (see announcement below).
- Bring change for a phone call if you need to make one.
- Bring a Merit Badge Application Card (or blue application paper form is OK) signed by your Scoutmaster.
- Remember: Classes close after the first 15 minutes
- Any questions, please call:
- The District Advancement Chair: YT Chung at 562.860.2482
- District Commissioner: Tom Hutchinson at 562.869.6478.
Remember: BE PREPARED
- No smoking in or outside close to the building
- Rooms must be as clean at the end of the session as they were at the beginning of the session. All chairs must be folded and placed against the wall so we may vacuum the floor.
- A LUNCH MEAL will be provided for $3.00. This includes a hot dog or two slices of pizza, a drink and potato chips. Soda pop and candy will also be available for 50 cents each. Extra hot dog or pizza will be $1.50.
PLEASE NOTE: Scouts must not call counselors after 9:00 p.m. or before 9:00 a.m.
REMEMBER: A SCOUT IS ALWAYS COURTEOUS AND KIND. Speak clearly and slowly, leave your name and phone number with the area code if you get an answering machine.
For up to date information about classes being offered, please go to http://www.boyscoutsla.org and click the Frontier District tab at the Left hand side menu.
Session I: 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. May 5, 2007
|Merit Badge - Citizenship in the Nation||Karen Rafferty||562.862.5245||Read Merit Badge Book! Please complete 2, 3, 6, and 8 prerequisites requirements and bring them to class.|
|Merit Badge - Citizenship in the World||Bruce Weir||562.928.6749||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Communications||Kathy Llera||714.774.4460||Read Merit Badge Book! Please call counselor for prerequisites. Speak slowly and clearly of your name and phone number, if the counselor is not available, so she can call you back.|
|Merit Badge - Dog Care||Rockie Mooney||562.868.8292||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Environmental Science||Michael Choi||562.402.1098||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Electronics||Robert Kobata||562.923.8269||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Fire Safety||Michael Wilcox||562.900-2667||Read Merit Badge Book! Please complete 6a, 11, and 12 prerequisites requirements and bring them to class.|
Session II: 12:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. May 5, 2007
|Merit Badge - Citizenship in the Community||Nish Choksi||562.924.4937||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Citizenship in the World||David Snyder||562.972.0669||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Family Life||Mel Ready||562.806.9181||Read Merit Badge Book! Be prepared to demonstrate your understanding of all requirements. Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Personal Fitness||Brian Morris||562.861.4916||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Camping||Pending||Read Merit Badge Book! Please contact counselor for prerequisites.|
|Merit Badge - Engineering||Rey Simbol||562.863.1723||Read Merit Badge Book! Please complete 1, 2, 3, and 9 prerequisites requirements and bring them to class.|
Merit badge counseling and Youth Protection will be given to any adult that is interested in becoming a merit badge counselor.
Session I: 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. May 5, 2007
|Merit Badge Counseling - Youth Protection||JimWilliams||562.863.1446||See notes below|
Merit Badge Counseling: This class is for any adult that is interested in becoming a merit badge counselor. You must be trained and registered to be able to sign off on a blue
card. The class will be from 9 am till 11:30 am. Please call to register in the class.
Youth Protection: The BSA places the greatest importance on creating the most secure environment possible for our youth members. All Cub Scout and Boy Scout
adult volunteers should take this course. It covers the BSA's Youth Protection policies, kinds of abuse, signs of abuse, how to respond to disclosure of abuse,
and proper reporting procedures.
PLEASE NOTE: CAMOUFLAGE, SWEATS AND T-SHIRTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE AND YOU WILL BE SENT HOME. COMPLETE UNIFORMS ONLY. PLEASE HELP YOUR SCOUTS IN THEIR EFFORTS. PLEASE ENSURE THAT THEY HAVE THE MOST RECENT EDITION OF THE MERIT BADGE PAMPHLET FOR THE CLASS THAT THEY ARE TAKING. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY CHANGES IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. IT IS SUGGESTED THAT SCOUTS GO ONLINE TO http://USSCOUTS.ORG/USSCOUTS/MERITBADGES.ASP OR http://www.meritbadge.com TO DOWNLOAD THE WORKSHEET FOR THE BADGE THAT THEY WANT TO EARN. THIS WILL HELP THE COUNSELORS USE THEIR TIME MORE EFFICIENTLY IN THE CLASSROOM SETTING AND WILL HELP THE SCOUTS REINFORCE WHAT THEY HAVE LEARNED.