Date: Sept 14, 2010 7 PM
Location: Carmenita Middle School
Chaired by: Alok Sancheti
Total present: 20
Eagle Project Proposal
- Nitin Sadras presented eagle proposal in August, and followed through with committee requests of incorporating more details in the project . His project will consist of painting design/logo on Wittmann Elementary handball courts and possibley a track on the blacktop. Committee approved this project and the projected dates are 12/18-12/21.
- Roland Gomez presented eagle proposal. His project consist of improvement of the whittier narrows nature center. The installation of rain gutters, painting and the pruning back of trees will be taking place. Committee approved this project and the projected dates are 10/16 or 10/30.
- Thank you to everyone for all their support.
- 4 SMC -1 star, 1 1st class, 2nd class and 1 tenderfoot
- ASM are needed to help sign off on Trail to first class requirements.
- Bin clean up will take place 9/25/10 at Carmenita Middle School
- Court of Honor will be held for Adam Wilson and Joseph Moon on 9/25/10, check calendar for more details.
- Looking for someone who is good with the thread and needle to show scouts how to sew at one of the upcoming meeting
- Peter and Carol will have a welcome meeting for all returning and new ASM's.
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
- Need Signers for singing off on checks. Volunteers: Grace, Maha, Alok and Christina,meeting at Citibank on 9/25/10 at 10:30 am
- Outing Subsidy Group Volunteers: Alok, Mikyong, Maha, Santos and Andrew.
- There are still two tents that were not tagged and are missing. Everyone needs to check there garages for them.
- All other tents have been tagged and many are still incomplete. Gordon was able to salvage the one tent that was damaged.
Cynthia Dang (not in attendance)
- New updated information: company name and policy numbers. Insurance information can also be found at Forms
- Keith Banuelos is preparing pre-eagle board presentation.
- Tameem Breik decided not to go forth with eagle
- Kendall and Justin completed eagle requirements. A big Congrats to them and their accomplishments
- 2011 Eagle Candidates: Nitin, Roland, Keith, Matthew and Mark
- Next big group class of 2012
Trail to 1st Class
- Helped chad with signing off on Trail to first class from summer camp
- 9/18/10- whipping rope, flag folding, totem and fireman chip requirements were covered.
Susan, Melody, Grace, Jeanne
- Next Board of Review scheduled for Thursday, September 16, 2010. Venue TBA.
- Merit Badge Day October 2, 2010
- 2011 calendar is updated. If an email is sent to you, please respond ASAP so that information regarding outings can be posted in an efficient manner.
- Suggestion made to have a Picassa account set up to upload lots of photos.
- Picture are updated from summer camp and log cabin.
- Backpack training moved to 10/2/10 and Backpack trip 10/23/10
Medicals Chair Report
Uttara Kelkar(not in attendance)
- Remember Medicals Forms for adults required if you are participating in a high adventure outing. Scouts medical forms are required for all outings. No exceptions.
- Reminder to all outing coordinators: All medicals must be updated prior to the outing for scouts and parents. Check Medical Form Expiry link. See Uttara to turn in all updated medicals ASAP.
- When turning in updated medicals, you must have Part A, B, and C completed along with a copy (both sides) of your medical insurance card. Originals will not be accepted, you must bring two copies of the updated medicals.
- Updated medical coming soon.
Kiran Rami, Anjali Atkins
- CHOC Walk 10/17/10- Link can be found on calendar date.
- Richard has put together a module on the Adult Training page for parents to view and Richard has posted LA/Orange County Links. Check them out and see all the available training going on along with online classes you can do in a short time to become certificated in various areas. (BSA E-learning Center)
- Wilderness Training and First Aid will be held Spring 2011 on the BSA website. A deposit of $25 and application needs to be submitted. Total cost is $210 (Date is not set, but will occur over 3 days-Fri, Sat and Sun).
Event and Outings
- Organization of 2011 calendar of outings completed.
- Nitin Sadras
- Roland Gomez
Long Term Outings Planned
- Summer Camp: Emerald Bay (2011)
- Check out new Calendar - 2011 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in preparation of each outing.
|July 31-Aug 7||Log Cabin - August 2010||Alok Sancheti||Yosemite Valley||RT -24 miile backpack trail over 5 days. Amazing experience for all. Budget accounts closed.|
|Sept 25||Windsurfing Trip - September 2010||Terri Domae||Alamitos Bay||12 scouts have signed up. Approximately 2 hours of instruction. Glenn has volunteered to help in the training of scouts.|
|Oct 3||Backpack Training Hike - October 2010||Victor Hsiang and Peter Prana||El Dorado Park||Meet at the library in Long Beach to check gear. Will be hiking until noon. 4 mile hike|
|Oct 17||CHOC Walk - October 2010||Serena Szu, Anjali Atkins, Kiran Rami||Disneyland||Flyers were distributed with the email and link for sign up procedures and donations.|
|Oct 23-24||Backpacking - October 2010||Richard Gilliland and Girish Kelkar||Cedar Glenn||Ice House. We have approximately 50 people signed up. Cost is $25. Will be leaving at 7 am.|
|Nov 6, 13||Scouting for Food - November 2010||Jeanne Cha and Shalini Chauhan||Sunshine Park||Will be going to round table for district approval.|
|Nov 20-21||Forest Lawn Mountain man Thunder – November 2010||Carol Hojo and Kiran Rami||Forest Lawn||Mountain Man. Budget will be prepared for next meeting. Two nights, scouts cost is $15 and Adults $10.|
Discussion Items and Other Business:
- Eagle Project Review Special Meeting: Concern that scouts that are prepared early for eagle projects are being put aside for scouts that are aging out. Committee discussed allowing 2 eagle project presentation per committee meeting as long as the scout limit it to 10 minutes. This topic will be table to the next meeting.
- Next Summer Camp is Emerald Bay. Deposit was made to hold are space. Cost will be approximately $550. Looking for ideas on upcoming summer camps after 2011.
- Philmont-2011 status: Looks like we will be taking only 1 crew, so as of now out of 11 scouts we will be only taking 9 or 10. Criteria has not yet been determined, however preparedness both physical and mental along with participation in training hikes have been discussed.
Expiry date of Medical form can be found ad Medical Form Expiry