Date: November 7, 2010 7 PM
Location: Carmenita Middle School
Chaired by: Maha Sadras
Total present: 19
Eagle Project Proposal
- Jeffrey Tai presented his eagle project which consisted of refurbishing room in a church near Cerritos College: removing borders and painting side walls of a nursery. Approximated costs $ 400 for materials. Will be fundraising in the church by donations. Projected dates early January or February 2011. Approximately this project will take place over a two day period which will need 7-10 scouts each day. Committee approved the project with the addition to include color picture in his portfolio.
- Keith Banuelos presented his eagle project which consists of replacing wood on 15 benches that are very old and unsafe for activities, games and lunch use at St. John Bosco. Three work stations will be set up, older scouts will be tearing down benches, while youngers scouts will be sanding and painting. He will need approximately 15 scouts per day. Two days will be set up. Projected date ASAP. Preferably in December or January.
Alok Sancheti (not in attendance)
- Green and Gold will be rescheduled to March 4th, 2011. Thank you to Jovita for helping the new parents with the detail/organization of this event.
- The city of Cerritos registration for this event is in progress.
- We will need a sound system with amplifiers and speakers. Victor has a speaker and amplifier, but will shop around for one, maybe troop can invest in one for future use.
- Patrols will be looking at a website to choose new patrol patches. Chad is requesting to purchase patches of cost approximately $120 ($2 per patch), however there will be a cap/limit of 4-5 years before new patrol patches will be chosen again. Also the adult leadership/ASM etc. would like to purchase patches as well. Terry looked into creating custom patches.
- SMC- 1 Life and 1 Tenderfoot, two more this weekend of 1 Life and 1 tenderfoot.
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
- Tagging of equipment system is working out very well.
- Jonathan Chen our new quartermaster is doing a great job. Every tent that was returned from the backpacking trip came with a tarp.
- Sports Chalet had a sale on a 2 men tents. A purchase of 5 tents were purchased by Glenn for $80 plus tax, for Philmont Crew if needed. What ever is not purchased by the philmont crew, troop should consider purchasing them. Equipment Budget will be evaluated and tabled until next committee meeting. Glenn will send out a mass email to see if anyone is interested in the purchase of these tents.
//Cynthia Dang (not in attendance) //
- Collecting forms for registration. All adults registered must take Youth Protection Training online ASAP if you did not attend the youth protection training that the troop offered. If you are doing it online enter ID Member # so that it can be registered in the BSA Data Base. Rechartering is due early December.
- Eagle Guide Presentation was shown at Glenn's House on Saturday 11/6/10 for the 2012 group. Expectation were given about Life to Eagle process and preparation of the Eagle Scout Projects. Troop guidelines were also addressed.
Trail to 1st Class
Terry Domae (not in attendance)
Susan, Melody, Grace, Jeanne
- Next Monday is Court of Honor. After scouting for food on 11/13/10 Grace needs help organizing patches. If adults can help that would be greatly be appreciated. Will be meeting at Glenns house there after.
- Jeanne has been scanning results to Chad from BOR. Boys will be receiving paper copies along with parents receiving an email. Jeanne is requesting volunteers for BOR 6 mos in advance. Jeanne will be bringing a sign up list to the troop meeting for people to volunteer for BOR committee.
- 2011 calendar is updated. If an email is sent to you, please respond ASAP so that information regarding outings can be posted in an efficient manner.
- Backpacking pictures are available on Troop website, link thru Picassa to view.
*January 8th and 9th bike outing. Training rides are now being held in the month of November and December. If you are interested in attending the 25 mile bike outing, you should have your bike inspected and must have attended at least two training sessions. The first training session is this Sunday 11/14 @ 12 noon. All Bike training dates on Calendar.
Medicals Chair Report
Uttara Kelkar (not in attendance)
- Remember Medicals Forms for adults required if you are participating in a high adventure outing. Scouts medical forms are required for all outings. No exceptions.
- Reminder to all outing coordinators: All medicals must be updated prior to the outing for scouts and parents. Check Medical Form Expiry link. See Uttara to turn in all updated medicals ASAP.
- When turning in updated medicals, you must have Part A, B, and C completed along with a copy (both sides) of your medical insurance card. Originals will not be accepted, you must bring two copies of the updated medicals.
- Updated medical are online.
Kiran Rami (not in attendance), Anjali Atkins(not in attendance)
- CHOC Walk raised close to $5000
- Richard has put together a module on the Adult Training page for parents to view and Richard has posted LA/Orange County Links. Check them out and see all the available training going on along with online classes you can do in a short time to become certificated in various areas. (BSA E-learning Center)
- New updated information: company name and policy numbers. Insurance information can also be found at Forms
- Organization of 2011 calendar of outings completed.
- Nitin Sadras
- Roland Gomez
Long Term Outings Planned
- Summer Camp: Emerald Bay (2011)
- Check out new Calendar - 2011 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in preparation of each outing.
|Oct 17||CHOC Walk - October 2010||Serena Szu, Anjali Atkins, Kiran Rami||Disneyland||15-20 people signed up. Raised $5000.|
|Oct 23-24||Backpacking - October 2010||Richard Gilliland and Girish Kelkar||Cedar Glenn||Ice House. 30 scouts and 15 adults attended. On behalf of the new parents, thank you for the good training, advice, and great food etc. Will be closing budget next committee meeting.|
|Nov 6, 13||Scouting for Food - November 2010||Jeanne Cha and Shalini Chauhan||Sunshine Park||30 scouts attended the first day, distributed bags in about 1 ½ hours. Will need adults and scouts for this Saturday. Scouts if possible bring a donation with you when you come help.|
|Nov 20-21||Forest Lawn Mountain man Thunder – November 2010||Carol Hojo and Kiran Rami||Forest Lawn||Mountain Man. Budget will be prepared for next meeting. Two nights, scouts cost is $15 and Adults $10. 11 scouts attending and 3 adults.|
|Dec 10||Holiday Party – December 2010||Quintin Sumbat||John Incredible Pizza||Approximately $200 for reservation. Buffet style eating variety of pizza, pasta, salad and deserts. Time beginning at 7PM. Will be reserving 4 rooms to eat|
|Feb 5-7||Snow Trip – February 2011||Lillabelle||Lake Arrowhead||Subsidy for scouts only, siblings charged extra. Parents will pay their rental and lodging costs. Lodging, transportation and food (3meals/2 nights) approximately $101 plus rental for skis for guest and scout costs is $75, not including rental fees|
|Jan 8 and 9||Bike Outing – January 2011||Dennis Gorospe||Santa Fe to Huntington Beach||Route Santa Fe Dam to Liberty park for 26.1 mile or to Huntington Beach for a 50 mile. Dennis bike group will be helping out in assisting to flats, riding techniques. Every training ride will be at noon on Sundays leaving Liberty Park, and will address toolkits, bike attire, changing flats, and riding techniques. This weekend will be the first ride, with Ed, Larry and Glenn. Will look into a overnight opportunity for scouts. Finalize cost at the next committee meeting|
Discussion Items and Other Business:
- Fund-raising Booth - Troop will need a license. City has requirements; Each organization should have a meeting place in Artesia, either have a membership or provide services in the city (20 members), Eagle Projects and Flag ceremonies will count as services. Will be checking how strict is the city going to be as far enforcing these requirements. February 2011.
Expiry date of Medical form can be found ad Medical Form Expiry