Date: Nov 10, 2009.
Time: 7:00 PM
Location: Carmenita Middle School in the auditorium
Chaired by: Maha Sadras
Total present: 16
ASM Meeting : 6:30-7:00 PM
- Suggestions regarding BOR deferments was discussed:
- A letter per board policy was brought up. The question was how formal does it need to be. The scout indeed needs to be informed of the expectations he did not meet for rank advancement and given advice of corrections based on his review of the board. Scout must be reflective of these suggestions and come better prepared for his follow up BOR. Also a suggestion was made that the scout himself should write down what is asked of him and the goals he will reflect upon for rank advancement. The board members themselves should write down on the back of the white slip a list of why the scout was deferred and the advice given, so that the next board is informed before re-evaluation. Our follow up discussion regarding this matter will be at Glenn's House on Sunday, November 15, 2009 at 7 PM. Discussion will consist of SMC, the BOR Process and Troop policies. Clarification of expectations/guidelines made by our Troop and the consistency involved. Please join us if you have any suggestion or comments you would like to bring up regarding these issues so that they can be addressed and voted on for the next committee meeting.
- No report.
Scoutmaster Conference - 1 SMC (1- Star)
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
- Currently testing out a new software to help break down the budget for future reference.
- Budget concerns were brought to the table. Suggestion to have a reserve for 1 year or charge dues of $100 per scout toward administrative cost. Our yearly fundraiser will go toward subsidy for outing. Further discussion at our next committee meeting.
*The resolution toward holding scouts accountable for checked out supplies after all outings is working out well.
- An bin inventory list has been taken to see what we currently have as well as checked all item for repairs and replacement of gear.
- There is a request form that all outing coordinator will need to submit as well as make an appointment with Chad to release any troop equipment needed. Form will be put up online.
- All Canoe gear has been returned.
- Quartermaster will be tagging each tent and the leak on the bins roof will be looked at and repaired.
- Registration renewal for the troop is complete. 55 registered scouts and 64 registered adults.
- Please bring survey form regarding interest of outing to the next troop meeting so that coordinators will be able to get an estimate on participation for their outing ahead of time. The survey form has been sent via email.
- CG had his Eagle Character Board on 11/11/09 and passed. Congratulation of your success and honor of Eagle.
- Class of 2010 working on Eagle are JM,JW, TB, AW, KN and BC.
- Class of 2011 will be meeting at Glenn's House on November 15, 2009 at 4PM to discuss Pathway to Eagle.
- Parent please encourage all older scouts to go on outings. Help them feel welcome and let them know that they are doing a great job as role models in our troop for the younger scouts.
Trail to 1st Class
Terry Domae (not in attendance)
- No report.
Susan Chung (not in attendance) , Melody Chang (not in attendance), and Jill Villaseca (not in attendance)
- No Report.
- Next Board of Review scheduled for Thursday, November 19th, 2009. Thank You to all the parent volunteers.
- All scouts need to remember to bring their scout book the first meeting of every month so that the records are complete and up to date.
- 2010 calendar is updated. If an email is sent to you, please respond ASAP so that information regarding outings can be posted in an efficient manner.
William Chen (not in attendance)
- Remember Medicals Forms for adults registered in troop are required if you are participating on High Adventure Outing. No exceptions.
- Reminder to all outing coordinators: All medicals must be updated prior to the outing for scouts and parents. Check below for soon to be expired medicals. See Hoa to turn in all updated medicals ASAP.
Jeanne Cha (not in attendance) and Jovita Fuente
- No Report
- Ed commented on the picture of our troop from the CHOC Walk in the Orange County Register.
- Jay has put together a module on the Adult Training page for parents to view and Richard has posted LA/Orange County Links. Check them out and see all the available training going on along with online classes you can do in a short time to become certificated in various areas.
- SM and ASM First module training was completed by Kiran, Adel and Richard. Module 2 Outdoor Leadership training is available on 10/24 and 10/25 at Firestone.
- High Adventure training will be available in February. See page for more info.
- AW 2nd day of project 11/14/09.
Long Term Outings Planned
- Summer Camp: Camp Witsett (2010)
- Sumer Camp: Emerald Bay (2011)
- Check out new Calendar - 2009 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in prepartation of each outing.
|November 7 and 14||Scouting for Food - November 2009||Jovita De La Fuente||Sunshine Park||Approximately 30 scouts signed up. Distribution of bags went out and collection of food has been completed. Scout collected about 850 canned/dried food.|
|November 21||Backpacking - November 2009||Jay Shin||San Jacinto in Palm Springs||Scouts will be taking the arial tram up to San Jacinto, will backpack 2 miles, and camp in Round Valley. 22 scouts/8 adults signed up.|
|December 12||Holiday Party - December 2009||Hoa Pham||Laser Tag||$15 cost per scout, siblings and adults who wish to play two games of Laser Tag. Food will be provided.|
|January 31||Bike Camping - January 2010||Ashok Chauhan||Unknown||More information will come at troop meetings.|
|February 5||Snow Trip - February 2010||Hoa Pham||Big Bear||Saved the date flyer will be distributed and a deposit will be requested to hold your spot for this outing|
Discussion Items and Other Business:
- Summer Camp - July 2010 Camp Whitsett. Registration has been made for 35 people. Our requested date of July 18 -24 was confirmed. Cost approximation is $450. Will be setting up a 3 month payment plan for this outing starting the end of November.
- Summer Camp - June 2009 Camp Cherry Valley - All money has been turned in, and the refund from Cherry valley has been submitted. All partial Merit Badges were returned to scouts from Summer Camp.
- Philmont - 2011 - We have currently enough boys interested to have two groups go. 24 scouts have signed up and 7 adults so far. Any scouts who sign up now will be put on waiting list. Must be 14 years or older as of January 2011 to be able to go. First payment of $100 was made.
Medical forms HAVE been updated
Next Comittee Meeting: November 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM @ 7PM, Carmenita Middle School.