Date: May 13, 2008
Location: Carmenita Middle School
Chaired by: Glenn Nishibayashi
Total present: 16
Table of Contents
Glenn Nishibayashi for Peter Prana
- Parent volunteers needed for ad-hoc committee for adult leadership positions .
- Lot of Scoutmaster Conference held.
- Scout-Ryan Matsushima and Scout-Kyle Shimoda are going for their Eagle Character Board of Review on 5/14/08.
- Glenn will be going to Summer Camp - July 2008 instead of Eric Aune.
Mi Kyong Choi
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
- Equipment from Camporee - April 2008 are still being returned.
- Scout-Eric Prana will be replacing Scout-Adam Wilson as the Quartermaster.
- Membership cards for the new scouts will come soon.
- Got the Quality unit flag.
- 5 pre-board of review for the existing Life Scout was done, 2 more need to be done.
- Scout - Garrett Nishibayashi got his Eagle approval from the district.
- It has been approved that the scout will first get his Eagle projects approved from 'Eagle Board' before presenting it to the committee.
Trail to 1st Class
Glenn for Maha Sadras
- Swimming Merit Badge session has been scheduled for Saturday, May 31st at 1:00. It is a good idea to complete the swimming merit badge before the summer camp.
- 6 Board of Reviews have been scheduled for 5/15/2008 at Glenn's home. As there are 6 scouts we will be running 2 boards simultaneously.
- Options to hold Board for Review at library or Starlight room were discussed.
- There will be a 30 minute Website Orientation on usage of the troop website on May 19th.
- It has been approved to post pictures on the website, except for the scouts who have not given a permission to do so.
- Permission Slips in word format will no longer be posted on website as it reveals the phone numbers for adults.
- Special Olympics - June 2008 are scheduled for June 14th.
Discussion Items and Other Business:
Committee is concerned about:
- Preparation: Not fully prepared for the outings e.g. fewer tents, missing propane tanks. This can create a SAFETY ISSUE if outing has not been properly planned.
- Parent Participation: Lack of PARENT PARTICIPATION, insufficient parents available for Fishing Trip - May 2008 and Whitewater And Caving Trip - August 2008. If the parents do not step-up; we might have to leave some scouts behind.
- New Leadership: Need new adult leaders to start learning the skills as the current leaders prepare to retire. If sufficient leaders are not available we might have to cut-down the size of the Troop.
- Cleanup after Outings: All scouts need to help in cleaning up after an outing; also no scouts should leave before everything has been organized. Parents are encouraged to support this policy.
- Previous Outing Coordinators: Current outing coordinators should contact previous outings coordinators to get a head start in planning for an outing.
18 Year Old Driving
- It has been adopted that only parents of scouts can drive other scouts.
- Food Safety / Hygiene and hand washing was discussed.
- Participation Guideline was re-emphasized, can be found at Rank Advancements Guidelines
- Mr. Hughe's Memorial: On June 5th Troop will make a presentation to Cerritos Park and Recreation Commission to get a permanent flag in Sunshine Park.
- Summer Camp: There is a planning meeting for scouts and parents on Thursday, May 27th at 7:00 PM at CPE. Eric will email checklist of Merit Badges for summer camp sign-ups.
Check out new Calendar - 2008 for updated events.
- May 17-18: Fishing Trip - May 2008 (Floyd Wilson) - 15 scouts have signed up.
- June 14: Special Olympics (Jeanne Cha).
- June 21-22: Surfing Trip - June 2008 (Brian Johnson) - Reservation have been made for San Onofre beach campsites.
- June 30- July 4: Fundraising Meeting - May 2008 will be held on 5/19/08 at 7:00 at Carmenita Middle School.
- July 13-19: Summer Camp - July 2008
- August 9-15: Long Term - Whitewater and Caving Trip - August 2008 (Carol Hojo) - Still NEED DRIVERS.
- September 12-14: Saltwater Canoe / Kayak Trip - September 2008 (Richard Gilliland) has been postponed from September 19-21, as there are other activities on those dates.
- September 15: Mandatory Parent Meeting - September 2008 has been postponed from September 22 due to change in Canoe Trip.
- October 11-12: Reservation for Group 2 and 3 campsite has been made for Rock Climbing - October 2008 (Jay Shin).
- November 15-16: Backpacking Trip - November 2008 will be discussed in next meeting.
- Philmont 2009 - Sounds like its a go.
- Next Meeting Scheduled of June 13, 2008 at 7 PM @ Carmenita Middle School
Medical forms for the following scouts need to be updated:
|to be added|