Date: Tuesday,March 13th, 2012 - 7:00 PM
Location: Carmenita Middle School
Chaired by: Santos Kadi
Total present: 23
Eagle Project Proposal
- Committe moved to approve Eric Pranadjaja's Eagle Project. Eric's project would benefit CMS by providing emergency/safety preparedness. It includes cleaning and fixing of storage bin for emergency equipment & supplies, re-supply of water and food for emergency, replace first aid components and batteries in radios and flash lights and reproduce "Emergency preparedness" pamplets for distribution.
Committee Chair Report
- Thanks to all adults for organizing and helping out with Orientation for new parents. New parents really appreciated it.
- SMC – 2 Tenderfoot, 2 Second class, 3 Star, none Eagle Character Board this month.
- 9 new scouts from Pack 529 and one scout from 673 started attending scout meeting
- Theme for Camporee this year is Campoly where troops go to different booths and acquire stickers. Scouts in our troop will form into teams and will follow Patrol assigned activities and then can choose to go to other activities. Plan to leave by 3 p.m. from CMS and reach campsite by 4 p.m. on Friday.
- Creating new Greenbar application to add email, phone no. and response time to email or message; rollover in 1st week of May; ISLT training on May 5th.
Mi Kyong - Balance on File
- Five backpacking tents that were ordered arrived
- worked on repair of convenient tents; repairing broken poles and patching; $90 out of $120 went into repairs, rest will be used for buying tarps for the new backpacking tents
- Purchased cargo nets for $15 each (2 QTY)
- Committee moved to approve the purchase of Hisonic HS120B Portable PA System with wireless Microphones for $139.99
Cynthia Dang - (Not in Attendance)
- Zion Park a good hiking and backpacking location to consider
- March backpacking to be cancelled due to heavy rain in the forecast
- About 6 scouts actively inquiring and looking into eagle projects
- Thanks to Bobby Joe and Glenn Nishibayashi who agreed to do a Life to Eagle presentation for the parents and scouts of the troop who are interested in Eagle projects
Trail to 1st Class
- New scouts handbooks' for scout requirements signed; New scouts can be awarded scout rank at Green & Gold
- Totin Chip and Fireman Chit can be done at Camporee when time permits
- Request to Mrs.Kathy N. to hold Swimming MB
Melody, Grace, Jeanne, Jovita
- February Board of Review scheduled : 2 second class and 2 star
- March Board of Review : 1 Pre Eagle, 1 Star and 1 Tender Foot
- Grace to order new Quality patches for 2011
- Neckerchiefs to Eagle scouts can be presented at regular Court of Honor, so they can start wearing to troop meetings
- 9 Eagle scouts to include for Green and Gold
MinChi Cheng (not in attendance)
- Webmaster designed and posted a template under forms to request to post information for outings on website. It will be easier to transfer information if outing co-coordinators can use this form
- posting Cell phone no. for co-coordinators on the outing pages can be accessible to public. The coordinators can chose whether to post Phone no. or not
- Philmont - 2013, Hawaii Long Term - 2013 pages have been created
Medicals Chair Report
Uttara Kelkar (not in attendance)
Christina Preciado, Anjali Atkins
- Anjali registered at the Volunteer Rescue program in Long Beach. They have various events like volunteer oppurtunity for back to school, Christmas events; will look into suitable events for scouts to participate and volunteer
Check out new Calendar - 2012 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in preparation of each outing.
|Feb 3-5||Snow Trip - 2012||Cynthia Chen, Sissy Yoh||Inn Der Bach, Big Bear||21 scouts, 11 adults and 3 siblings. Successful outing. Scouts should remember to watch out for partner in outings (buddy system).|
|Mar 17-18||Backpacking - March 2012||William Chen||Spruce Grove Campground, San Gabriel Mountain (Arcida)||March backpacking cancelled due to heavy rain during the weekend|
|Mar 30||Green and Gold - 2012||Linda Phong, Sujin Youn, Su Yon Kim, Sharon Gong||CPE(Newport Rm)||Total 144 signed up. Capacity for SkyLine Room is a concern. Chinese Food menu. Dinner will start at 6 P.M. Requesting parents for donations for raffle items.|
|Apr 7-11||Grand Canyon - 2012||Andrew Chien, Santos Kadi||Grand Canyon||Stair climbing exercises and practice hikes in schedule. Regular practice on Wednesdays going well. Overnight camping and day hikes are providing good training. All scouts are doing well, ready with equipment and mentally prepared. Ed shared important advise - wear right sized shoe and laced properly during hikes. Also trim your toe nails.|
|Apr 20||Camporee - 2012||Glenn Hiu, Minchi Cheng||Firestone Scout Reservation||40 scouts and 7 adults signed up. 3 new scouts signed up. Camporee can be an important camping outing for new scouts to attend as it provides new scouts an opportunity to get to know other scouts from troop|
|May 19 - 20||White water Rafting - 2012||Steve Lin, William Szu||Kernville||13 scouts and 8 adults signed up so far. ~$180 per scout; Collecting final payment on April 2nd|
|Jun 23-30||Long Term Bike Ride - 2012||Justin Chiang, Dennis Gorospe, Ed Johnson||Along the central CA coast||All campsites have been booked. Looking at various options to haul the bikes: trailer, U-Haul, Train. 18 scouts and 8 adults to go. Training going very well. Scouts were comfortable with 1500 ft. of climbing going 6-7mph and also downhill biking. Training like this help to build confidence in scouts. $300 per scout including Amtrack. $100 for parents taking Amtrack. Monterey Bay very excited and looking forward to receive the troop. all reservations set|
Discussion Items and Other Business:
- PA system will help to conduct meeting efficiently.
- Parents need to be silent at the back when the Monday scout meetings are conducted
Long Term Outings Planned
- Camp Mataguay (2012)
- Camp Cherry Valley (2013)
- Hawaii (2013)
- Philmont (2013)
Expiry date of Medical form can be found ad Medical Form Expiry