Date: March 8, 2011 7 PM
Location: Carmenita Middle School
Chaired by: Alok Sancheti
Eagle Project Proposal
- None to present
Committee Chair Report
- Thank you to Glenn for making the rack that carries the Eagle Plaques for Troop 693.
Chad Hoang(not in attendance)
- Camporee’s focus this year will be to develop leadership skill through breaking the duties into 4 teams: (1) Campsite Team, (2) Gateway Team, (3)Scout Skills Team, and (4) Patrol Team. There will be team captains for each of these teams all reporting to the SPL, which will then report to the assigned ASM. The teams are to present their complete project a week before the Camporee.
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
- Thank you Melody and her employment at Edison. They donated on her behalf $100.
- ALL equipment was returned from the bike outing except for one tent. Any tents purchased through Glenn, fill out reimbursement form and Glenn will sign verification for the purchase.
- 100 ft of tarp was purchased ($43.98) for the new tent .
Cynthia Dang (not in attendance)
- New updated information: company name and policy numbers. Insurance information can also be found at Forms
- Troop permit must be filled out one week prior to an outing and must be cleared before any outing progresses.
- Currently Working with one eagle scout.
- 4 scouts interested in proposing an eagle project.
- New scouts must make sure that they fulfill rank of scout before they begin any requirements there on.
Trail to 1st Class
Dennis Gorospe/Terry Domae (not in attendance)
- Tender Fitness/ Flag Ceremony Requirements @ Sunshine Park -March 13th (1:30pm) .Trail to first class activities will also be worked on as well.
- Most scouts completed the joining requirements at Blue and Gold or at Mondays Meeting. All that is left in the scoutmaster conference.
Susan(not in attendance), Melody, Grace(not in attendance), Jeanne(not in attendance)
- Susan- Awaiting for Frank to finish eagle board plaque.
- Jeanne -Congratulation to the 8 BOR’s that were held on March 17th-1 Eagle, 3 Pre-eagle, 2 Star, 1 First Class and 1 Second class. Thank You to all the adults for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help out. Next BOR April 28th . Jeanne has also added to scout handbooks labels of new 1st and 2nd class requirements and will not be allowed to move on in rank advancement until completion of these requirements.
- Kent Chen- March 19th Eagle Project and Victor Dang- March 26/April 9th Eagle Project.
- Camporee also updated on the webpage. Richard will be scanning Parent Orientation handout to be placed on the web.
Medicals Chair Report
Uttara Kelkar(not in attendance)
Kiran Rami(not in attendance), Anjali Atkins(not in attendance)
Richard Gilliland(not in attendance)
- Richard has put together a module on the Adult Training page for parents to view and Richard has posted LA/Orange County Links. Check them out and see all the available training going on along with online classes you can do in a short time to become certificated in various areas. (BSA E-learning Center)
- Wilderness Training and First Aid will be held Spring 2011 on the BSA website. A deposit of $25 and application needs to be submitted. Total cost is $210 (Date is not set, but will occur over 3 days-Fri, Sat and Sun).
- Kent Chen
- Victor Dang
Long Term Outings Planned
- Summer Camp: Emerald Bay (2011)
Check out new Calendar - 2011 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in preparation of each outing.
|Jan 8-9||Biking - January 2011||Dennis Gorospe, Ashok Chauhan||Bike Outing||Final Wrap up next meeting|
|Feb 4-6||Snow Trip - February 2011||Lilibelle Reyes, Julie Won||Big Bear||14 scouts and 3 adults attended trip. Smooth sailing trip. Next year if we can avoid MUN and Merit Badge day. Promote younger scouts to attend this trip for such an opportunity to learn and try something new. Develop relationships with each other both scouts and adults. Camperships are available for those who need help with the costs. This year 20 % discout in respect to the past years which was 50%|
|Mar 4||Green and Gold – March 2011||Jovita De La Fuente, Vasantha, Mala||Skyline Room Cerritos Library||122 total scouts/guests attended. Balance of approximately $100 still needs to be collected. $734 will be donated to Friends of scouting.|
|Mar 12-13||Backpacking – March 2011||Santos Kadi, Jay Chiang||Point Magu in Malibu||25 scouts and 12 adults signed up. Activities once we reach camp (pitch tent, early lunch, then will take a hike to Magu Peak and show scouts to work on Geocashing on the way. Jay will be sending out an email which introduces geocashing so that scouts and adults are familiar.|
|April 15-17||Camporee – April 2011||Serena Szu, Linda Phong, Su Yon Kim, Vasantha Sri||Firestone Camping Reservation||$20 per scout (registration fee)- (Saturday Dinner Meal included)- $45 per scout ($5 subsdidy) –Collect $40 per scout. Weebelos invited to Camporee. Pack 529 will take care of their own registration. Depending on the number from Pack 529 will determine if we can cover the costs. Committee approved to charge both cub scout parents and scouts to pay $25. Boys will be signing up through Serena and she will register scouts online. When you sign up you will need to pay to show a commitment. 23 scouts and 3 adults have signed up so far. Our adults will be free for this outing.|
|May 14-15||Rifle Shooting/Shotgun - May 2011||Richard and Charles||Location Whittier Narrow||Reservations have been made. Leave Sat morn May 14 with sack lunch. Open to all scouts. Triple B Shooting Range (shotgun shooting- age 14) Cost is $10 per scout for rifle (1st day) and $90 per scout for shot gun (2nd day) plus $35 for outing itself (camping overnight)-Total: $135- includes food, clays, training, merit badge counselor and donation to instructor) If only doing rifle shooting the costs will be $45.|
|May 16||Fundraising Meeting - May 2011||Claire / Mee / Jovita||Carmenita MS||Sign Up to work fireworks booth|
|June 23-26||Whitewater / Fishing - June 2011||Ed Johnson||Kern river||Kern River Tours has several options (2 day trip- $300 -$400) vs. 1 day rafting ($150-$200) (furnished meals)- Keep it to 1 day rafting and other days activities (fishing, biking, geocashing) approximately cost of #300 outing. Ed will work up a budget.|
|July 10-16||Summer Camp – July 2011||Christina Preciado||Emerald Bay||Currently have 25 scout signed up and awaiting for information regarding the camp at the leadership meeting. Will be updating troop after this meeting and dispersing information.|
|Sept 17-18||Kayaking/Snorkeling - September 2011||Jas Jahic, Dennis Gorospe||Oxnard –Channel Island||Approximately $210 per scout (one night camping, two days kayaking)- $25 subsidy.|
Discussion Items and Other Business:
- New Scouts/Parents Orientation-Dennis Gorospe (10 boys entering, parent orientation. Youth protection training will be done online, April 4 (Short Intro to trail to first class and Eagle) April 11 (More Detail of trail to first class and Eagle)
- Waiting Lists-Frances Gorospe (55 +13 scouts currently in the troop after green and gold and 5 are in the wait lists (only 2 of the waiting list joined us)
- Due to rising gas prices discussion of Gas Reimbursement was suggest to increase mileage to 20 cents a mile for planning purposes. Will be table this discussion to the next meeting.
Expiry date of Medical form can be found ad Medical Form Expiry