Date: March 9, 2010 7:00PM
Location: Carmenita Middle School
Chaired by: Maha Sadras
Total present: 9
Table of Contents
- City of Cerritos is having a Spring Festival 4/23-4/24. Thought this would be a great idea for fundraising opportunity.
- Green and Gold Ceremony went very well. A special thanks to all those who organized and presented in this event. Congrats to all those awarded in the ceremony.
- Scoutmaster Conference - 0 SMC.
- Thank you to Christina for arranging CHS cheerleaders performance of spirit to our scouts.
- Gear from last backpack trip returned on time.
- Remember to dress in Full Class A Uniforms the 1st Monday of each month. Consequence of being sent home will be in affect starting April.
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
- Just a reminder to adult coordinators that an outing template must be presented and approved by committee so that any refunds can be given.
- Suggestion was made to set deadline for expense reports to be submitted no later than two month after an outing has ended so that the outing coordinator can prepare and submit report at a committee meeting.
- Thank you to Fadia and Tameem of for helping in the repair of tent zippers. Victor has purchased a kit for $10.95 to repair poles. Currently we have 26 convenience tents (Bags for poles missing approximately 5), 14 in good condition.
- Reminder to all scouts to not wash tents in washer/dryer. Tent will lose weather proofing.
- All new scouts /parent have completed registration. Two scouts not joining our group, so we are at a total of 14 now.
- Working on setting up google group registration to help in the distribution of mass emails sent out. Registration Deadline is 4/15/10, after which all communication will be done through google groups only.
- An email has been sent out to all for registration to be done. Recommendation is to use your full name.
- No report
- Class of 2010 (Turn 18 in 2010)
- Tameem Breik (October 27th) – Have been holding bi-weekly meetings with Tameem. He has not made significant progress on his completing required merit badges. He needs to complete 2 or 3 Eagle required merit badges by mid April to fulfill the requirement for Life Scout. All requirements for Life Scout need to be completed by April 26th (including Scoutmaster conference and Board of Review) for him to still have the opportunity to earn the rank of Eagle Scout.
- Joseph Moon (March 23rd) – All paperwork completed. Scoutmaster conference held 3/2. Needs Board of Review and Committee Chair signature on Eagle application then he will be ready to submit his application to Frontier District.
- Kendall Nishibayashi (July 9th) – Has made initial presentation to sponsoring organization. Has two more presentations to two committees within the sponsoring organization to get approval before coming to the Troop Committee for approval. He has two merit badges to complete. He will need a Pre-Eagle Project Board of Review before he presents his project to the Troop Committee for approval.
- Justin Wiguna (November 5th) – Project completed. 1 or 2 merit badges left to earn.
- Brian Choi (August 8th) – No longer pursuing Eagle Scout.
- Class of 2011 (Turn 18 in 2011)
- All Scouts in Class of 2011 are now Life Scouts: Roland Gomez (January birthday), Keith Banuelos (February birthday), Mark Chern (October birthday), Matt Chern (October birthday)
Trail to 1st Class
- Sign off for rank requirements are being completed.
- Camp stove and fire chip activity sign offs done. Also the remaining books were distributed to all new scouts.
Susan Chung, Melody Chang, and Jill Villaseca (not in attendance)
- Next Board of Review scheduled for Thursday, March 18th, 2010. Thank You to all the parent volunteers.
- Susan is working on Green and Gold program.
- 2010 calendar is updated. If an email is sent to you, please respond ASAP so that information regarding outings can be posted in an efficient manner.
- Updated pictures for ski trip are up.
- Remember Medicals Forms for adults registered in troop are required if you are participating on High Adventure Outing. No exceptions.
- Reminder to all outing coordinators: All medicals must be updated prior to the outing for scouts and parents. Check expired medical under forms link. See Hoa to turn in all updated medicals ASAP.
Jeanne Cha and Jovita Fuente (not in attendance)
- Looking into Bolsa Chica Wetlands as our next service project.
- Suggested that farming be done some time in the summer during the week, due to the availability of the organization.
- Jay has put together a module on the Adult Training page for parents to view and Richard has posted LA/Orange County Links. Check them out and see all the available training going on along with online classes you can do in a short time to become certificated in various areas.(BSA E-learning Center)
- New Parent Orientation 3/1/10, 3/8/10 and 3/15/10. Youth Protection training recommended to do online.
- Backpack Adult Training 2/20/10 High Adventure training will be available in February. See page for more info.
- CPR/First Aid Training 4/10/10- 8 spots available.
Long Term Outings Planned
- Summer Camp: Camp Witsett (2010)
- Summer Camp: Emerald Bay (2011)
- Check out new Calendar - 2010 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in preparation of each outing.
|January 31||Bike Camping - January 2010||Ashok Chauhan||El Dorado Park||27 miles going and 15 miles on the return. All expense reports have been turned in.|
|February 5||Snow Trip - February 2010||Hoa Pham||Big Bear||Ski trip was very well organized and was a blast to attend. Expense report was submitted and ended with a surplus.|
|February 26||Green and Gold - February 2010||Maria Gomez||Library||Green and Gold money was collect and tickets for the raffle were sold|
|March 20||Backpacking Trip - March 2010||Christina Preciado and Jeanne Cha||Spruce Grove Camp Site||Approximately cost will be $18 per scout. Will be leaving at Carmenita MS at 5:00 AM. Will be purchasing Fire and Parking Passes for this event.|
|April 3-8||Grand Canyon - April 2010||Andrew Chien||Grand Canyon||The people who are going has been finalized and scouts who are in waiting list have been notified. The crew will consist of 6 adults and 16 scouts. Training hike to San Gorgonio could not be completed due to bad weather. Next training hike is on March 20th will be with the Troop Backpacking Trip - March 2010. Weekly stair climbing Wed @ 7PM and Thu 7:30PM Cerritos Parking Structure in the Town Center|
|May 21-22||Camporee - May 2010||Jaime Banuelos and Asmath Noor||Whittier Narrows||Will be working on making an online reservation for our troop. Scouts should reserve on their own. Fee is 21 till 4/5/10. An increase cost of $31 to those who sign up after.|
Discussion Items and Other Business:
- Log Cabin Deposit of $100 was made. This activity will take place July 31-August 7.
- Budget Meeting Review: Committee approved the Annual Troop Dues proposal, effective September 2010.
- Adult participation cost for Outings: Alok dicussed ideas for sharing outings cost for adults, due to lack of time discussion could not be completed.
- Claire confirmed that no presale tickets for fundraiser in July. Looking for Artesia residence to be sent to Claire to help with the continuation of our July fundraiser.
- Summer Camp - July 2010 Camp Whitsett. Registration has been made for 24 scouts and 4 adults. Our requested date of July 18 -24 was confirmed. Cost approximation is $450. If anyone is still interested in signing up please contact Christina Preciado. A payment plan has been set up and distributed at committee meeting 3/1/10.
- Outing Close out Deadline tabled for the next committee meeting.
Expiry date of Medical form can be found ad Medical Form Expiry
Next Committee Meeting: April 13th, 2009 at 7:00 PM @ 7PM, Carmenita Middle School.