ASM Meeting: None
Where: Carmenita Middle School
When: Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Time : 7:00 PM
Chaired by: Chad T Hoang
Total present: 21
Table of Contents
- Scoutmaster Conference - 8 Scoutmaster Conferences reported: (5 - 2nd Class, 1 - Star, and 2 - Eagle)
- Planning on reorganizing patrols. New leadership position will be opened for application in April
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
Bryan Johnson and Peter Prana(not in attendance)
- 3 tents and 1 stove are currently in repair status.
Cynthia Dang (not in attendance)
- LK and SL in the process of getting their Eagle approval by Frontier District. All Eagle requirements must be completed by their 18th birthday.
Trail to 1st Class
Maja Sadras (not in attendance)
- Saturday, January 17, 2009: Rank Advancement took place at Sunshine Park from 1-4pm. Various requirement for tenderfoot, 2nd Class and 1st Class were completed and signed off. SMC were scheduled as well.
- Sunday, February 22, 2009: Rank Advancement opportunity for Tenderfoot, 1st and 2nd Class requirements regarding the recognition of poisonous, native plants and wild animal. Time to be determined. More information will be given at the next troop meeting.
Susan Chung (not in attendance), Melody Chang (not in attendance), and Jill Villaseca (not in attendance)
- Board of Review scheduled for January.
- All scouts need to remember to bring their scout book the first meeting of every month so that the records are complete and up to date.
- When posting pictures on the website, please “crop” them (make them smaller) so they don’t use as much memory on the website.
- Alok is willing to train adults to post information for events and outings themselves.
- Also send any updated info to Alok which you would like to see on Calendar.
- Remember Medicals (Class 3) for adults registered in troop are required if you are participating on High Adventure Outing. No exceptions.
Jeanne Cha (not in attendance) and Jovita Fuente (not in attendance)
- Looking for ideas for community service projects. Any ideas let Jeanne Cha know so that she can look into it.
Discussion Items and Other Business:
Long Term Outings Planned
- Summer Camp: Cherry Valley (2009)
- Summer Camp: Camp Witsett (2010)
- Sumer Camp: Emerald Bay (2011)
- Check out new Calendar - 2009 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in prepartation of each outing.
|January 31/February 1||Bike Camping - January 2009||Terri Botello/Alok Sancheti||Decision was made to substitute the bike outing to Santa Fe Dam with a bike outing to El Dorado Park. Alok will coordinate the bike riding for this outing. This outing will be in preparation for the 150 mile Long Term Bike Ride - July 2009. Some of the biking merit badge requirements will be covered. Starting point will be at Cerritos Regional Park to Seal Beach and then to El Dorado for the overnight Camping and then return back the next day.|
|February 8||Loring Hughes Memorial Flagpole||Larry Stern||Flag Pole lighting and dedication will be held at 2 PM at Sunshine Park. Plaque has been ordered and will be installed 2 days prior. Glenn is organizing troop flag ceremony and Mark is the master of ceremony.Troops from Cerritos and Cub Scout Pack 529 will be invited to participate in this ceremony. Also, Congresswoman Sanchez, County Supervisor Knabe, Cerritos City Council members, and Cerritos Parks and Recreation Commission members will be invited to attend.|
|February 13||Green and Gold - February 2009||Elizabeth Banuelos and Maria Gomez||Mexican Food will be served this year. Troop will be catering a Taquero who will be serving tacos of 3 kinds of meat, including vegeterian with rice and beans on the side. As in past years families are asked to donate 2 liters of soda for drinks. This year there is addtional fee of $100 due to the usage of the terrace for the taquero's grill set up. Committee approved to keep the cost as $5.00 and troop will subsidize terrace fee of $100.|
|February 27-March 1||Snow Trip - February 2009||Andrew Chien||Moved due to lodging availability. 30 have signed up and 20 of them are skiing. Capacity currently is for 35 people. A concern was brought to the committee's attention about whether snow will be available. Andrew will be inquiring about hiking information as a backup plan.|
|March 21||Backpacking Trip - March 2009||Victor Hsiang||Spruce Grove will be our next backpacking trip. Details to come.|
- Ed Johnson is looking for those who are interested in attending Philmont 2010. Sign-up ASAP for spot reservation.
- Committee approved to clear the current Troop 693 waiting list and start a new one for next term. Glenn will be contacting the 9 people on the waiting list to see who is still interested in joining our troop. We currently have 4 webelos coming to our troop in March from Pack 529.
- Summer Camp 2009 (Cherry Valley)- Due to the overwhelming parent participation for this event a list of criteria was discussed and tabled for further discussion at the next committee meeting. Currently we have space for 6 adult volunteers, 4 of which are already taken by our current troop scoutmaster, 1 new parent, 1 for the outing coordinator and the fourth for our potential scoutmaster for the next term. The following criteria was proposed:
- Who has been to summer camp before?
- Who has been to Catalina before?
- Who is familiar with summer camp duties?
- Boys parents who attend summer camp oversees those parents whose boys are not attending.
- Those who attended Lost Valley last year should be able to attend.
- Adults of older boys leaving the troop within the next couple years should be able to attend since this will be the last chance for them.
- Must be able to get vacation days for the week of summer camp.
- Should be assistant or scout master trained, youth protection training completed and have a full troop uniform.
- Another alternative to looking at criteria would be to have a drawing for the last two spaces available.
- Come join us at the next committee meeting if you have any suggestions for resolution for this summer camp 2009.
Medical forms HAVE been updated