Committee Meeting December 2010
Date: December 14, 2010 7 PM
Location: Carmenita Middle School
Chaired by:Alok Sancheti
Total present: 13
Eagle Project Proposal
- Thank you to Cynthia Dang for organizing all paper work for registration and making sure adults are Youth Protection trained. All but 3 adults completed the training. An article from LA times regarding a troop that went on an outing unprepared, which resulted in a death of a scout was brought in my Alok showing how important it is for us to follow through with BSA guideline.
- Thank you to the Assistant Scoutmasters that helped out with signing off rank advancement. It helps the scout master to prepare for his scout master conferences.
- Greenbar is scheduling activities to get the older scouts to attend the Monday Meetings.
- Green bar calendar available for ASM to have in advance.
- SMC- 3 Life, 2 Star, 1 First clas and 2 Second class
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
Victor Hsiang(not in attendance)
- We are out of batteries for Walki-talkies and electric latterns.Our troop has 4 walki-talkis and each one takes 4"D" batteries and 4 working laterns which needs 3 "AAs" per unit.
- Costco is having a sale this weekend for a 12 pcs of "D" size Duracell batteries for $8.99 +tax. I am planning to get two packs of those ($17.98 + $1.75 = $19.73) and one pack of 48 pcs of Kirland "AA" ($10.99+$1.07 = $12.06)
Registration Report //Cynthia Dang //
- All checks deposited and registeration form completed and submitted.
Outing Coordinator Alok Sancheti
- New updated information: company name and policy numbers. Insurance information can also be found at Forms
Eagle Guide Maha Sadras
- Talked to many scouts who are showing interest in pursuing eagle project. Mark and Matt Chern have a late birthday, and have met with Glenn to conference with them.
- Keith project is still not confirmed. Birthday is February.
- Nitin Sadras eagle project is this weekend 12/17-12/18, may be postponed due to weather. Will be contacting adult leaders to help with supervision if dates need to be moved. Nitin is asking scouts to help with a phone tree to contact scouts. Thank you to Nitin for including the younger scouts
Trail to 1st Class Terry Domae (not in attendance)
- Dennis has been working with 8 scouts on the First Aid Merit Badge, will be giving them a quick exam, asking them to model certain characteristics that is required by the merit badge.
Advancement Report Susan (not in attendance), Melody (not in attendance), Grace, Jeanne (not in attendance)
- BOR this Thursday 12/16/10: 9 parents volunteered. Life- Daanish Noor,Victor Peer, Edward Shin Star- Andrew Johnson and Nicholas Wan, First Class- Prithvi Chauhan, Second Class- Samuel Cho and Justin Kadi
- Scouts will go directly to Jeanne for BOR, Susan taking care of COH, Grace is taking care of blue cards, Melody taking care of data base.
- New Eagle Plaque made and ordering new plates for eagle scouts.
Webmaster’s Report Jay Shin
- 2011 calendar is updated. If an email is sent to you, please respond ASAP so that information regarding outings can be posted in an efficient manner.
- Biking Trip and Snow Trip Updated on the Web.
Medicals Chair Report Uttara Kelkar(not in attendance)
- Remember Medicals Forms for adults required if you are participating in a high adventure outing. Scouts medical forms are required for all outings. No exceptions.
- Reminder to all outing coordinators: All medicals must be updated prior to the outing for scouts and parents. Check Medical Form Expiry link. See Uttara to turn in all updated medicals ASAP.
- When turning in updated medicals, you must have Part A, B, and C completed along with a copy (both sides) of your medical insurance card. Originals will not be accepted, you must bring two copies of the updated medicals.
- Updated medical are online.
Community Relations Kiran Rami (not in attendance), Anjali Atkins (not in attendance)
Adult Training Richard Gilliland
- Richard has put together a module on the Adult Training page for parents to view and Richard has posted LA/Orange County Links. Check them out and see all the available training going on along with online classes you can do in a short time to become certificated in various areas. (BSA E-learning Center)
- Wilderness Training and First Aid will be held Spring 2011 on the BSA website. A deposit of $25 and application needs to be submitted. Total cost is $210 (Date is not set, but will occur over 3 days-Fri, Sat and Sun).
Event and Outings Andrew Chien
- Organization of 2011 calendar of outings completed.
- Nitin Sadras(December)
- Jefferey Tai (January 28 and 29)
- Keith Banuelos (January 14 and 15)- Allow him to complete eagle project but will have to solicit help outside of scouts. Keith must talk to Jefferey, if does not fall thru, he may not recruit help from his troop. Scouts will only get points if attend Jeff eagle project to?
- Kent Chen (February)
Long Term Outings Planned
- Summer Camp: Emerald Bay (2011)
- Check out new Calendar - 2011 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in preparation of each outing.
|Nov 20-21||Forest Lawn Mountain man Thunder – November 2010||Carol Hojo and Kiran Rami||Forest Lawn||Mountain Man. Budget will be prepared for next meeting. Weather sent people home early.|
|Dec 10||Holiday Party – December 2010||Quintin Sumbat||John Incredible Pizza||Buffet style eating variety of pizza, pasta, salad and deserts. Time beginning at 7PM. Suggested for next holiday party , a more controlled environment. Teen age hang out, very hectic.|
|Jan 7 - 9||Bike Outing – January 2011||Dennis Gorospe||Santa Fe to Huntington Beach||Route to Santa Fe Dam to Liberty park for 26.1 mile or to Huntington Beach for a 50 mile. Dennis bike group will be helping out in assisting to flats, riding techniques. Every training ride will be at noon on Sundays leaving Liberty Park, and will address toolkits, bike attire, changing flats, and riding techniques. This weekend will be the first ride, with Ed, Larry and Glenn. Will look into a overnight opportunity for scouts. Finalize cost at the next committee meeting ( 12 scouts and 8-9 adults signed up) – Chapman and Valleyview next to Basic there is bike shop there is a store that has use bikes that will fit and adjust a bike to your inseam ? ask Mr. Johnson. Craigs List and Ebay is another option. Scouts are up to 27 miles, working their way up to 50 miles up to Palm Desert (Next to Santa Rosa Mountains, maybe to some hiking)- look at flyer online. Cost is $50|
|Feb 4-6||Snow Trip – February 2011||Lillabelle||Lake Arrowhead||Subsidy for scouts, siblings charged extra costs. Parents paid their rental and lodging costs. Lodging, transportation and food (3meals/2 nights) approximately $101 plus rental for skis for guest and scout costs is $75, not including rental fees|
|Mar 4||Green and Gold – March 2011||Jovita De La Fuent||Cerritos Library Skyline Room||Menu was presented and committee decicded to with Chinese . Skyline room is already reserved (130 people- scouts and family), approximately $7 per scout, requesting donations for raffle prizes, will be looking into corporate business to donate as well. All money earned by raffle will go to friends of scouting.|
|Mar 12 -13||Backpacking – March 2011||Santos Kadi, Jay Chiang||TBD||Swaping outing with May outing. Looking into reserving camping/backpacking in San Jacinto Palm Springs.|
Discussion Items and Other Business:
- Fundraising Booth- Troop will need a license. City has requirements; Each organization should have a meeting place in Artesia, either have a membership or provide services in the city (20 members), Eagle Projects and Flag ceremonies will count as services. How strict is the city going to be, to enforce. February 2011.
- Summer Camp Costs will remain as a cost of approximately $ 535 per scout. First deposit is due January 3rd, 2011 of $100 and Second deposit is due March 5, 2011 of $300, the remaining balance is due in June. A total of 4 -5 adults will be needed to help with organization and administration of scouts.
- Paul Matsushima ordered name badges (Black and White) Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster. Chad will email a list to Ed Johnson
- Youth Protection training and must be registered to be able an adult for an outing. Suggestion that CPR training be required for high adventure training.
- Effective as of January coordinator will be assigned to keep record of Adult training roster.
- Expiry date of Medical form can be found ad Medical Form Expiry
page revision: 4, last edited: 20 Dec 2010 16:19