Date: August 10, 2010 7:00PM
Location: Wittmann Elementary School, Cerritos
Chaired by: Maha Sadras
Total present: 22
Table of Contents
click here to see Agenda for August 2010 meeting.
Eagle Project Proposal
- Nitin Sadras presented eagle proposal. His project will consist of painting design/logo on Wittmann Elementary handball courts and possibley a track on the blacktop. Committee requested more additional details for project. Nitin will follow up with this request and return with information for next committee meeting.
- Thank you to everyone, It has been an honor to serve as Committee Chair. Thank you to all the officers on the committee and the work they served this year.
- 2 SMC -1 first class and 1 star
- Last two meetings in August- catapult activities.
- Bin clean up in September and a special spirit medallion for summercamp.
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
- Presentation of July 4th fundraising. Monthly reports discussed.
- There are still two tents that were not tagged and are missing. Everyone needs to check there garages for them.
- All other tents have been tagged and many are still incomplete. Gordon was able to salvage the one tent that was damaged.
- One defected tent followed up, still not returned.
- Troop equipment tents # 1, 5, 10, 14, and 16 and a duel stove from Whitewater Rafting and Camporee still not returned, please bring them to the next Monday Troop meeting.
- Thanks to Ed Johnson for filters.
Cynthia Dang (not in attendance)
- New updated information: company name and policy numbers. Insurance information can also be found at Forms
- Justin Wiguna has completed his Troop Board of Review for Eagle and has turned in his paperwork to the District Rank Advancement Chair.
- Kendall Nishibayashi has turned in his paperwork to the District Rank Advancement Chair and is expected that he will have his District Eagle Character Board in September.
- Tameem Breik has not yet finalized an Eagle Project. He also still has Eagle required merit badges to complete. As his 18th birthday is at the end of October he will need to make significant progress over the next few weeks in order to complete all of the Eagle Requirements.
- Nitin Sadras is preparing to present his Eagle Project proposal.
- Keith Banuelos (through his father) has expressed a renewed interest in completing the requirements for Eagle. I expect to meet with the family in the near future to lay out a plan.
Trail to 1st Class
- Finished plant/animal requirements at Bolsa Chica
- October 2010 tentative 1 mile orienteering course being planned.
Susan Chung, Melody Chang
- Next Board of Review scheduled for Thursday, August 19, 2010. Venue TBA.
- Preparing for Court of Honor- Venue CPE outdoor shelter at 6:30 pm Aug 16th. MC and PA system needed. Planning a summercamp and longterm slide show.
- 2010 calendar is updated. If an email is sent to you, please respond ASAP so that information regarding outings can be posted in an efficient manner.
- Suggestion made to have a Picassa account set up to upload lots of photos.
Medicals Chair Report
Uttara Kelkar(not in attendance)
- Remember Medicals Forms for adults required if you are participating in a high adventure outing. Scouts medical forms are required for all outings. No exceptions.
- Reminder to all outing coordinators: All medicals must be updated prior to the outing for scouts and parents. Check Medical Form Expiry link. See Uttara to turn in all updated medicals ASAP.
- When turning in updated medicals, you must have Part A, B, and C completed along with a copy (both sides) of your medical insurance card. Originals will not be accepted, you must bring two copies of the updated medicals.
Jeanne Cha (not in attendance) and Jovita Fuente(not in attendance)
- Richard has put together a module on the Adult Training page for parents to view and Richard has posted LA/Orange County Links. Check them out and see all the available training going on along with online classes you can do in a short time to become certificated in various areas. (BSA E-learning Center)
- Wilderness Training and First Aid will be held Spring 2011 on the BSA website. A deposit of $25 and application needs to be submitted. Total cost is $210 (Date is not set, but will occur over 3 days-Fri, Sat and Sun).
Long Term Outings Planned
- Summer Camp: Emerald Bay (2011)
- Check out new Calendar - 2010 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in preparation of each outing.
|May 21-22||Camporee - May 2010||Jaime Banuelos and Asmath Noor||Whittier Narrows||Jamie gave report. Dues need to be collected from 3 more parents|
|June 19-20||Whitewater Rafting - June 2010||Jas Jahic and Ed Johnson||Lake Isabella||24 scouts and 5 adults attending. Trip went very well, all scouts and adults had a blast. Mikyong closed budget.|
|July 18-24||Summer Camp - July 2010||Christina Preciado||Camp Whitsitt||Thank you to all the adult volunteer who helped drive and monitor scouts up at Camp Whitsett. 35 scouts and 6 adults attended with 110 merit badges earned and trail to first class requirements completed. Scouts came in first place in most of the event. Successful experience for all. Budget accounts closed.|
|July 31-Aug 7||Log Cabin - August 2010||Alok Sancheti||Yosemite Valley||RT -24 miile backpack trail over 4 days. Amazing experience for all. Budget accounts closed next month|
|August 16||Court of Honor||Susan Chung||CPE||Outdoor shelter at 6:30 pm, Summer Camp and Log Cabin Slideshow|
|Sept 11||Mandatory Parent Meeting - 2010||Andrew Chien/Alok Sancheti||Sunshine Park||Scouts will plan outing for 2010-2011 troop year|
|Sept 25||Windsurfing Trip - September 2010||Terri Domae||Alamitos Bay||12 scouts have signed up. Maximum of 8 scouts per day. Approximately 2 hours of instruction. Looking into arranging a second day to accommodate more scouts who are interested. Cost is about $30. Glenn and his friend have volunteered to help in the training of scouts. Terri will be setting up a basic pull ups skills test for those who are interested in attending.|
|Oct 16||Backpacking - October 2010||Richard Gilliland and Girish Kelkar||Cedar Glenn||Cedar Glenn. September 11- Backpack Inspection (Peter Prana) and September 25- El Doradao Day Hike (Victor Hsiang)|
Discussion Items and Other Business:
- Outing Planning meeting 9/11/10 at Sunshine Park. Adults will meet afterwards to calendar dates of outings.
- Mandatory Parent Sign Up for Outing Coordinating Meeting 9/20/10 at Carmenita Middle School.
- Nominating Committee presented T693 Slate of officers for 2010-2011. Final slate of officers was submitted and voted on and approved. 2010-2011 officer list can be found at Adult Leadership
- Philmont - 2011 Parent Meeting Monday, August 30th during troop meeting. One adult per crew must be CPR/Wilderness Survival certified.
Expiry date of Medical form can be found ad Medical Form Expiry
Next Committee Meeting: September 14th, 2010 @ 7PM, Carmenita Middle School.