ASM Meeting: None
Where: Carmenita Middle School
When: Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Time : 7:00 PM
Chaired by: Chad T Hoang
Total present: 16
Table of Contents
- Scoutmaster Conference - Some Scoutmaster Conferences held. No specifics given.
- Patrols and leaderships have changed as of 4/6/09. Currently we have 56 scouts, but will be losing 4 of them.
- 4 volunteered for Den Chief position. (RG, PD, TB and MH)
Mi Kyong (not in attendance)
- Ending cash balance (Details on file).
Bryan Johnson(not in attendance) and Peter Prana(not in attendance)
Cynthia Dang (not in attendance)
Glenn Nishibayashi (not in attendance)
Trail to 1st Class
- LK wants to work on putting together a mini rank advancement. Detail will be given later. Maja will conference with him.
- Swimming Merit Bade end of May possibly.
Susan Chung (not in attendance), Melody Chang, and Jill Villaseca (not in attendance)
- Board of Review scheduled for April on 4/23/09.
- All scouts need to remember to bring their scout book the first meeting of every month so that the records are complete and up to date.
- When posting pictures on the website, please “crop” them (make them smaller) so they don’t use as much memory on the website.
- Alok is willing to train adults to post information for events and outings themselves.
- Also send any updated info to Alok which you would like to see on Calendar.
- 30, 000 pages have been viewed and 10, 000 visited. Great Job Alok.
- Remember Medicals (Class 3) for adults registered in troop are required if you are participating on High Adventure Outing. No exceptions.
Jeanne Cha and Jovita Fuente (not in attendance)
- 10 boys and 4 adults will be attending the Southwest Community Center in Santa Ana on 4/11 and 4/18.
- If interested in the community service merit badge, contact Mr. Stern for guidance.
- Looking for ideas for community service projects. Any ideas let Jeanne Cha know so that she can look into it.
Discussion Items and Other Business:
Long Term Outings Planned
- Summer Camp: Cherry Valley (2009)
- Summer Camp: Camp Witsett (2010)
- Sumer Camp: Emerald Bay (2011)
- Check out new Calendar - 2009 for updated events. Coordinators are collecting information and will have flyers available with information in prepartation of each outing.
|April 11 and 18||Community Service Project - April 2009||Jeanne Cha||Community Service at the Southwest Community Cener in Santa Ana (10 boys have signed up for each day)|
|April 18||Training Bike Rides - 2009||Alok Sancheti||25 mile bike ride (Carmenita to Roscrans and La Mirada to Colima to Tetly St). 3 - 4 hours uphils and downhill.|
|April 20||Adult Orientation||Peter Prana||3rd Session will be held Monday 4/20/09. Four sessions will be coordinated through out the month of April|
|April 24-26||Camporee - April 2009||Terri Domae and Jeanne Cha||Convenience Camping setup. Theme is "leave no trace". All scouts will be required to bring reusable utensils. Troop will be asked setup a wash location and trash cans with a separate recycle bin. 38 scouts and 6 adults signed up and 5 weebelos and their parents will be attending.|
|May 2||Merit Badge Day||TBA||Must contact counselor and come prepared with requirements prior to merit badge day.|
|May 29||Eagle Court of Honor - May 2009||Austin Chang, Andrew Park, and Justing Wang||CPE 7 PM|
|May 30-31||Mountain Biking - May 2009||Peter Prana||Bear Mountain. Propoal # 1 approved by committee which was a charge of $70 per scout and $33.00 per adult. This include Bike rental and lift ticket.|
|June 21- 27||Summer Camp - June 2009||Maria Gomez||2nd payment already submitted. Summer Camp Mandatory Meeting 4/27/09 at Carmenita Middle School. Packets and information will be distributed at that time.|
|July 11-17 or Aug 22-28||Long Term Bike Ride - August 2009||Alok Sancheti||Detail on Calendar (Committee approved to go in August). Check dates as well for the bike training schedule. Next one scheduled is for April 18, 2009|
|August 21-23||Surfing / Bonfire / Windsurfing Trip - August 2009||Chad Hoang||Leo Carrillo Beach. Details to come|
- TNT Fireworks-Location still uncertain. City has approved the fireworks booth, however Stater Bros owner cannot be found to agree on last years location.
- Summer Camp - June 2009 (Cherry Valley) - The overwhelming parent participation for this event is now down to 3 - 4 people. One scout is unable to attend. Committee must vote on who is going to take that spot. There may be a scout who is still willing to attend but has not signed up yet or maybe the spot can be given to a parent. There is definitely 6 spots available for parents, possible 7 if that spot does not get taken up by as scout. 4 of which are already taken by our current troop scoutmaster, 1 new parent, 1 for the outing coordinator and the fourth for our potential scoutmaster for the next term. Committee discussed to do a lottery based on Merit. Those adults on the list for summer camp will be given merits based on the following criteria:
- Attended summer camp last year (4 points)
- Number of outings attended from the last summer camp (0.5 points)
- SM/ASM Trained (2 points)
- Holds a leadership position (1 point)
- Last opportunity to attend summer camp (2 points)
- The committee approved that Kathy Nishibayashi attend this summer camp, because of her tremendous active involvement over the past years. We are all very grateful for what she has contributed to our troop family.
- ADHOC nominating committee Glenn, Maria, Maha and Christina put together the list of confirmed candidates for adult leaders. Christina and Maja presented the tentative slate to the committee. If anyone else would like to have their names added to the slate, please contact the nominating committee. The slate will be circulated through out the entire troop and voted on in the next committee meeting. If you currently hold a position and did not contact the committe saying that they were interested in keeping their positon and if we had another person volunteer, we did not include them on the slate. However if that person is still interested in that postion, contact the nominating committee. It is a good idea to get people beginning to transition their responsibiities and shadow the current person holding that position for the next few months.
- A concern regarding consistency of criteria during Board of Review's was brought to the boards attention. An idea to train adults before sitting in on a BOR was proposed. Richard will be gathering info in regard to this.
Medical forms HAVE been updated