Date: April 1, 2001
Location: Carmenita Middle School
Chaired by: Abraham Oh; Brian Johnson / Ed Johnson, Secretary
Total present: 24
Table of Contents
- Five SM conferences scheduled in the past month
- Details on file
- The new roster / database will be ready by April with all of the new Scout information. A little database clean-up is still required
- We had a march 25 Advancement outing with about 6-7 Scouts in attendance. Another similar outing is planned for late April.
- No information yet available about the Merit Badge Day - May 2007
- No report
- We have purchased almost all of the new/replacement equipment, with only a few minor items remaining
- Frank Filippone has purchased the materials to build five or six additional new Patrol Boxes. He should have at least three of them ready for the Camporee - April 2007
- Alok Sancheti suggested we evaluate a free web hosting site (Wiki) as a supplemental way to post materials on the web to keep everyone apprised of events, etc. He and the Cub Pack successfully used such a technique. Michael will work with Alok to evaluate.
- We are posting monthly meeting announcements and the monthly Newsletter; Michael also would like event flyers for upcoming events and pictures from past events. You can e-mail them to Michael at moc.396poort|retsambew#moc.396poort|retsambew
- Thanks to Peter Prana for organizing the New Parent Training. The last meeting in the series will contain the Child Protection Training, which is good for two years.
- Thanks to the Fund Raising Committee for organizing and planning this year’s event.
- Wanda Boss (sp?), acting Principal at Carmenita Middle School sent us a thank–you e-mail for the recent service project we did at the school.
- We’re OK to use the Multi-purpose room till June 18.
- The assigned Outing Coordinator should be prepared to address/update the Committee at least three months prior to the event (and at least six months prior for major events such as long Term, Summer Camp, etc.). This should include publicity, cost estimates, Tour Permit, Permission slips, etc., etc.
- Detaild see Calendar
Discussion Items and Other Business:
Long Term Alternative Trip
- Due to the lack of interest in the Colorado River canoeing/kayaking trip, Floyd Wilson is working on a couple of possible alternatives. So far these include a COPE course in San Diego County or a week at Camp Whitsett. Cost should be in the same ballpark as for the River trip. (http://www.whitsett.org/) (http://www.whitsett.org/ProgramStuff/SierraCPT.htm)
- Mikyong Choi has volunteered to take over for Serena Szu.
Ad Hoc Nominating Committee
- Abraham will recruit/appoint a committee comprised 3-4 adults to nominate / recruit officers and committee chairs for the upcoming program year (Sept thru August). The intent is to have a slate nominated by June and voting by the committee by July. [* per Merriam-Webster: Latin, for this; for the particular end or case at hand without consideration of wider application]
Service Project(s) for Joyson Szu
- A couple of preliminary suggestions were made to help Joyson..
- One possibility is to participate in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training program, although the minimum age for participation is 16. http://www.teamintraining.org/chapter.adp?chapter_id=26
- Another possibility, also with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, is Light the Night. http://www.lightthenight.org/site/c.itJZJ7MOIwE/b.731019/k.1DE8/Orange_Riverside__San_Bernardino_Counties.htm
- Finally, we’re checking into Joyson’s needs with regard to blood and/or platelets. We may be able to donate individually and/or as a group thru CHOC to ensure that he has what he’ll need for the course of treatment over the coming months.
- In the mean time the power of prayer and positive thinking should be directed toward Joyson and his family.
Adult Leader Training
- Wood Badge - Fri, Sat, Sun, May 4, 5, & 6, and Sat, Sun, Mon, May 26, 27, & 28 - $240 (Troop will pay for all costs/fees)
- Adventure Passes –- For outings in the local mountains, we need adventure passes for parking. They’re $5 for one day or $30 for a year. (And holders of Annual Passes can buy a supplemental pass for an additional $5). Please advise if you have one and/or are willing to purchase one. (The Troop will reimburse the expense).
All participants (Scouts and Adults) in High Adventure outings need a current medical form on file with the troop. The medical form can be obtained on the troop website or from Todd Shimoda at the Monday meetings. Upon completion of the form, please submit 2 copies (each of BOTH sides of the form) to Todd Shimoda. Below are those that are overdue and pending (i.e., soon to expire). A decision was made to manage more strictly with regard to current medicals. Scouts without current physicals will not be allowed to participate in Troop activities, with the exception of the weekly meetings.