Start Date: Friday, October 9th, 2009 5:00 PM
End Date: Sunday, October 11th, 2009 6:00 PM
Meeting Point for Drop-off and Pickup: Carmenita Middle School
Location: San Diego Youth Aquatic Center Campsite: Starfish
Fiesta Island, Mission Bay
Forms Needes: Troop 693 Permission Slip
Coordinator: Carol Hojo, Dennis Gorospe
Cost: $50 (bring extra $25 for Kayak trip)
TOTAL COST/SCOUT: $85 (including $35 per clinic/per day - with Web sign up)
Last Date to Signup: September 21, 2009
Things to bring: Camping Checklist Whitewater Rafting Checklist
- We will be returning to Fiesta Island in San Diego. We were there last September 2008 for a similar outing. This time, however, the Youth Aquatics Center is holding an Aquatics Clinic.
- Register Here: http://camping.sdicbsa.org/YAC/AquaticsClinics.asp
- The clinics are to be done either on Saturday or Sunday. SCOUTS GET TO EARN MERIT BADGES BY DOING A CLINIC!
Canoe - 7:00 am to 3:00 pm 14 spots/day
Small Sail - 7:00 am to 3:00 pm 12 spots/day
Motor Boat - 7:00 am to 1:00 pm. 15 spots/day
We were able to get the Starfish Camp site which holds 24 people. We will be taking the first 20 scouts to sign up. We need to have 4 adults to go. Sign ups will be taken at the next Troop meeting.
The program director indicates that we "cannot take over the whole class" since there will be other scouts attending. Bear this in mind. But realize that there will be two days of lessons. The total spots available will be 82. Once the lessons are done, the scouts can use the watercraft that they were assigned within the bay. Scouts who are not doing the clinics are not allowed to use other water crafts.
The link below is for La Jolla 7 Caves Kayak tour. 2 hours guided tour for $25 in October. Scouts not doing the clinics can do this.
We had 30 scouts that went to the canoeing trip last time (September, 2008)
- Sack lunch for Saturday or Sunday Clinic - no food will be provided during the Aquatics clinic
- Dry bag - to store your items while in your watercraft. You don't want to eat a soggy sandwich.
- Merit badge handbook for the clinic you are attending ( canoe, motorboat, small boat sailing)
- Water shoes or old sneakers which you don't mind getting wet. Sandals will not be allowed.
- Nylon shirt for quick drying qualities. You will surely get wet.
- A light windbreaker in case it gets cool with the ocean breeze. Forecast is partly cloudy, 70 F.
No one has approached the coordinator about going on doing the La Jolla 7 Caves Tour. If we do this, we will most likely do it on Sunday 10/11 in the morning. We believe everyone has enrolled for a Saturday clinic. If you want to go on a kayak tour, please bring $25 with you for this activity.