Start Date: Saturday, January 9th, 2010 8:30 AM
End Date: Sunday, January 10th, 2010 12:00 PM
Meeting Point for Drop-off and Pickup: Liberty Park, Cerritos
Location: El Dorado Park, Long Beach, CA
Forms Needed: Troop 693 Permission Slip
Coordinator: Ashok Chauhan
Cost: $25.00 per scout
Last Date to Signup: December 19, 2002
Things to bring: Camping Checklist, Fully tuned bikes (see details below), Sack luch for Saturday
Merit Badge Worksheet: bike-camping-january-2009/Cycling Merit Badge Worksheet.doc
- We will be meeting at Liberty Park NOT at CMS.
- Please be at the Liberty Park by 8:30 am because we will be starting the biking at 9:00 am.
- After leaving our gears e.g. tents, sleeping bags etc. at the park, which an adult volunteer will take to El Dorado Park.
- Thereafter we will bike for about 14 miles to Long Beach Light House, next to the flood water Coyote Creek. In the map, you will see the bike trail next to the blue path.
- After having the sack lunch at the beach and relaxing, we will bike for about 10 miles to El Dorado Park.
- We will camp overnight at the park
- Next day after breakfast and pack-up we will ride our bikes back to Liberty Park; while an adult volunteer will get our gear to the Cerritos Regional Park.
|8:30 am||Meet at Liberty|
|9:00 am||Start Biking|
|11:30 am||Arrive at Lighthouse. Please bring a sack snack with you. some suggestions are Granola bars, PB&J, sandwich, banana, juice etc. Also, please bring water.|
|12:00 pm||Leave Lighthouse|
|1:30 pm||Arrive at El Dorado Camp site|
|2:00 pm||Prepare and have Lunch|
|3:30 pm||Setup Tent|
|4:00 pm||Bike Flat repair and other requirements|
|6:00 pm||Prepare Dinner|
|7:00 pm||Campfire (or something else)|
|9:00 pm||Cards / chit chat / Go to tent|
|10:00 pm||Lights out|
|8:30 am||Pack up|
|9:30 am||Leave El Dorado, Bike to Cerritos Regional Park|
|12:00 pm||Arrive at Liberty Park|
- We will cover some requirements for Cycling Merit Badge, you can use bike-camping-january-2009/Cycling Merit Badge Worksheet.doc
- Scouts will NOT be carrying the tents etc. on bike, but we will load them in cars and drive them to El Dorado Park. Scouts will be carrying a small hydration pack or water and energy bar with them on the bike. Of course that means we will need couple of adult volunteers to drive the stuff to El Dorado Park, they may or may not camp with us.
- Helmets, gloves, spare tube and repaid kit are mandatory.
Training & Inspection
Date: December 19th, 2009
Time: 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Meeting Point: Liberty Park, Cerritos
- Training Ride route: Liberty Park to Cerritos Regional park and back
- Make sure you attend the training and inspection session to prepare for the outing.
- At the training we will inspect your bikes, helmets etc.
- Go over bike rules and safety issues.
- Thereafter we will ride on Coyote Creek Bike Path for about 6 miles.
- Please read How to Buy a Bike before buying a bike
- For this ride bring whichever bike you currently have
- If you plan to buy a new bike. Buy one which has gears, so BMX bikes will not work. Please speak with Ed Johnson so that he can suggest the size / fit best for you.
- For the long term bike ride, we will use bikes with smooth tires (with or without grooves). They are much easier to peddle than having wide knobby tires that the boys probably have now. The knobby tires will be OK for the first few short rides.
- If you currently own a mountain bike (the bike where tires have grooves), do not worry we will be converting the tires. You do not have to buy a new bike just for this reason.
- Bring helmets and gloves you will NOT BE ALLOWED to ride without a helmet or gloves.
- Patch kit, pumps will be needed for longer rides; for the training rides you do not need them.