Start Date: October 19 2013 5:30am
End Date: October 20 2013
Meeting Point for Drop-off and Pickup: Carmenita Middle School on Saturday
Location: Cedar Glen, Ice House Canyon
Forms Needed: Permission Slip
Contact: Carl Wong / Jay Chiang
Cost: $15 per person (What a bargain!)
- Please eat a good breakfast, bring sack lunch for Saturday and money for Sunday lunch
Please remember to bring along the following:
- signed permission slip
- renewed/signed medical form, if yours have expired
- just 2 Nelgenes. We don't need extra water bottle now. We are going back to our original campsite, Cedar Glen (we'll pump waters from a nearby stream), now that the gov't is open for business again.
- layered clothing (it could be cold overnight)
- full brim hat
- hiking poles if you have them
- GPS if you have it (for geocaching activity)
- pack your backpack accordingly per the checklist attached to your backpack
No jeans on the backpacking trail. We'll distribute food/cookware at the trailhead to rebalance your backpack load.
If the weather permits, we can do daytime & night time navigation, for those who needs that requirement. You will be required to demonstrate compass directions using 2 methods, both for daytime and for night night, so review your scout book and come prepared.
For 5-mile orienteering, a topo map will be provided for you at the beginning of the hike. You will need to take compass measurements at every pack-off break to determine your current location & elevation by using surrounding landmarks such as buildings/structures, mountain peaks, communication towers, etc. So brush up on your map and compass knowledge before the trip.
Training Hike: Sunday Sept 29th at 7am @ Long Beach Library parking lot at El Dorado Park
Learn the basics and advanced tips of backpacking. Enjoy the great outdoors in a way many people will never experience. We will have training hike and inspections to ensure a memorable experience. Come and join the fun!